If you're editing your images in Adobe Lightroom, it is easy to make triptychs and more in the Print Module. The basic steps for triptychs are as follows:
- Select your image & create two virtual copies while in the Develop Module.
- Highlight all three and go to the Print Module.
- Set up your "print," which you may choose to print as a jpeg rather than send directly to a printer, by starting at the top panel on the right side of the screen in the Print Module.
- Select " Single Image/Contact Sheet." (This option is good when all featured images are the same dimensions.)
- Continue working your way down the panels making your selections for border colors/widths, number of columns/rows (these are 1 row and 3 columns).
- Note that if your image is a 4x6 aspect ratio, you will want to size it in multiples so the file size will be adequate if you choose to go to eventually print.
- You can add text or a logo. If doing multiple lines of text, a work-around, such as copying/pasting from "Word," is necessary.
- Select/Highlight all three of your duplicate images and slide them horizontally in their individual windows until they match up.
- Refine all the details in your "print" and remember to:
- Save your print in your Lr Catalog,
- Save your Print Template, &
- Save your print as a JPEG to your hard drive, portable external, thumbdrive, or wherever you choose.
[There are 3 ways this can be accomplished. 1. Use the Keyboard Shortcut - Cmd/P (Mac) Ctl/P (Windows) or or 2. Select the "Print to File" option way down at the Lower right. Make sure that you selected Print to Jpeg instead of Printer a little higher up, & have all 3 images selected. or 3. Go to the File tab at the VERY Top Left & select the "Printer" option from the pull down menu. Note, this is different than "Exporting" the way you would export an image or a batch of images.
REMEMBER, THERE ARE AT LEAST 2, 3, OR 4 WAYS TO ACCOMPLISH MOST ANYTHING IN LIGHTROOM.
The Layout Style of the Poppy, Papaver hybridium "Lavender Breadseed," triptych above is "Custom Package." Choose this option when not all images have identical dimensions. Note that image blocks must be created & images dragged up from your filmstrip into place. Once there, they cannot be shifted in their "windows" like they can in the Single Print/Contact Sheet Package Layout Style.
The Triptych of Primrose, Primula denticulata, flanked by Fairy Wands, Dierama pulcherrimum, aka Angel's Fishing Rod, was created using online photo editor Ribbet.com.